**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

No one is like Daemon Black.
When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.
But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.
After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.
Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

All hail Jennifer L. Armentrout! I'm so glad I continued with Opal. I almost stopped after being sorely disappointed with Onyx.

Being me, getting this far in the series is a huuuuuuge achievement and that speaks volumes about how entertaining Lux series has been so far. The trying-too-hard-to-show-Katy-is-a-hardcore-book-blogger was tiring and borderline annoying though. We got it, alright. People will still buy your books even if the protag is not a book-nerd/obsessed!

Saying that, I wasn't amused with the first half of the book because pretty much nothing was going on apart from recaps and some 'old friends' making a comeback. Okay, I lied. I was actually amused seeing Katy gets all the blames and feels all guilty because ya know, I think she screwed up pretty bad in Onyx. At times, she still goes all Wonder Woman mode but Daemon is there to knock some sense back into her, so yeah, apparently the douche is the better thinker.

Speaking of the douche, DAEMON IS A NEW MAN! I bet many fangirls are totally heads-over-heels with this new version of Daemon and I approve this idea. Daemon is more matured, not overly protective, sensible, reliable and still himself in the same time! How cool is that? Yes, don't worry. His insults jokes are still funny although I can't lie, I laughed more with Obsidian than Opal.

Daemon-Katy steady relationship was very admirable. AND HOW GLAD I WAS WHEN OPAL STAYED AS A YA NOVEL! I know the *ehem* dreaded sex is coming, if not in this book, it will be in the next book. ***Spoiler alert*** It's in this book LOL! And I'm very thankful when the sex is just mentioned instead of being shown! ***Spoiler finished***[It's in this book LOL! And I'm very thankful when the sex is just mentioned instead of being shown! (hide spoiler)]

The secondary characters also sort of grew on me, particularly Dawson. Suicidal energizer bunny? Hah! How sexy is that? Ash and Dee are somehow getting more likeable and Matthew! I wish I know more about him. He seems like a very cool teacher and I bet a handsome one too!

The twists and turns. Honestly, some I would have predicted already but it hardly affects the impact they had on me! The cliffhanger ending! The warning sign was raised even before the book was released so I braced myself for it.

*Confession bear mode*

I actually liked the ending. :/ It was a very powerful one. The emotions...the helplessness...I felt them all. Like, if this scene is translated into a movie, I could totally imagine it'll be in super dramatic slow motion mode.

Jennifer L. Armentrout is really a queen of cliffhangers. :)

So yes, I totally recommend Opal while simultaneously object the idea of you reading Onyx. Hear me, it's okay to miss the second book because all the major events will be highlighted in Opal. It will be as if you never missed Onyx. Trust me, I'm saving you from the heartache.


Me gusta!
View all my reviews

3 comments:

Hmmm...really good review, but like you were initially, I'm still skeptical since I was so disappointed with the second book. Between Lisnoir and I, we both don't want to take one for the team. But maybe one of us may change our minds.

Perhaps. It's not a book I'd go gaga for it but for me, it's definitely worth reading. :)

Jejeje, M.Kay and I buddy read Onyx. It was not pretty... I had vowed to not read any other JLA books, but I might read this one after reading this review. But only if one of my friends has it and lends it to me...lol

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...