**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description


The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Hobbit is one of the greatest fantasy sagas of all time, a classic that has captivated generations of readers and is now an eagerly anticipated film by Peter Jackson, Academy Award–winning director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

When Thorin Oakenshield and his band of dwarves embark upon a dangerous quest to reclaim the hoard of gold stolen from them by the evil dragon Smaug, Gandalf the wizard suggests an unlikely accomplice: Bilbo Baggins, an unassuming Hobbit dwelling in peaceful Hobbiton.

Along the way, the company faces trolls, goblins, giant spiders, and worse. But as they journey from the terrors of Mirkwood to the wonders of Rivendell and beyond, Bilbo will find that there is more to him than anyone—himself included—ever dreamed. Unexpected qualities of courage and cunning, and a love of adventure, propel Bilbo toward his great destiny . . . a destiny that waits in the dark caverns beneath the Misty Mountains, where a twisted creature known as Gollum jealously guards a precious magic ring.
This is a double-review for The Hobbit (the book) and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (the movie). I have to admit that I watched the movie first before I read the book (I listened to The Hobbit audiobook once but didn't understand the whole book since I got distracted literally every two seconds).

Personally, I actually liked the movie adaptation better than the book. I suspect this is because the movie was made such that it appeals to people of every age. As The Hobbit is technically a children book, it's impossible not to give this masterpiece a five-star because the lessons that you can get out of it are really powerful and wonderful.

The Hobbit, the movie for me struggled to remain faithful to the original book while maintaining the bad-assness and the emotional depth as seen and felt in The Lord of the Rings films (expectations, people haz it).I did get bored a few times especially during the first hour!

[SPOILERS, SPOILERS EVERYWHERE!]

What I liked about the movie;

- The part where the dwarves unexpectedly intruded into Bilbo's house. Bilbo was more polite in the book but I think I prefer the grumpy Bilbo in the movie. I'd feel equally as annoyed if a random bunch of strangers raided my pantry!

- Bilbo only agreed to come along with Thorin and his companions after they all left the hobbit hole so it can be said that he is the only person responsible for that decision. In the book, Bilbo went along half-heartedly after Gandalf personally persuaded him.

- The handkerchief scene!

- Thorin. Of course Thorin received greater exposure in the movie than in the book. I liked how he was portrayed as a tormented character. We get to see a more emotional and a more respectable version of Thorin.

- The goal of the journey itself. This line;
Thorin Oakenshield: Why did you come back?
Bilbo Baggins: Well, you were right. I do miss my home. I miss my bed and my hearth. But you lot... you haven't got a home. And I'm gonna help you get it back, if I can.
...almost made me weep for the dwarves. In the book, the journey was for me very material-orientated.

- Azog the Defiler. Without his character, I wouldn't feel for Thorin this much.

- Bilbo himself! Contrary to in the book, the Bilbo in the movie is more resourceful. He tricked the Trolls and saved Thorin from Azog.

- Kili.

No explanation needed. I swear I'm going to cry once I saw the third movie.

- The trolls. They weren't as volatile as in the book. I particularly liked the part where one of the trolls pointed out to Gandalf and asked, 'can we eat him too?'.

- Gandalf. He is weaker in the movie and I liked how less dependent Bilbo and the dwarves were to him considering Gandalf is expected to dissapear in the last third of the book.
Bilbo Baggins: [asking Gandalf about Radagast] Is he a very great wizard, or is he more like you?

- Radagast
Radagast: I'll draw them off.
Gandalf: These are goblin wargs. They'll outrun you.
Radagast: These are Rhosgobel rabbits. I'd like to see them try.

- The Necromancer. With his mention, it's clearer how The Hobbit is linked to the LOTR trilogy

What I disliked about the movie;

- The scene where Bilbo first met Gandalf was awkward LOL. While this part is portrayed as very similar as in the book, I felt that the scene should be more condensed.

- If I remember correctly, the Great Eagles don't actually talk. So when they dropped Thorin and the rest, still a long way from The Lonely Mountain, I questioned why didn't they choose to drop them as far as they can! They are eagles, right? Only in the book, I found the answer; The Eagles are afraid of arrows from the people on the land who could mistaken them for birds seeking to prey on their livestock.

- The scene in Gollum's cave. I really liked this part in the book although it was longer with more riddles! But somehow, in the movie, it felt draggy. But I appreciated the early scene where Gollum was shown to actually eat a goblin! Gross! Now I know how twisted Gollum really is.

I'm not going to elaborate these points since I'd like to compare them with the subsequent films first.

What I liked about the book
- The illustrations.
- Breun.
- Bilbo's transition.
- The Archer.
- Bilbo's conversation with Smaug.
- The ending.
- Bombur. Although I'm expecting to be annoyed by him once I saw the Mirkwood scene on screen.

What I disliked about the book;
- How Smaug meets his end.
- Lack of female characters! Saying this, in the end I strongly think that there's not one thing I'll change about this book (hence, the five star). But when I finished the book, there's a tiny bit of me who longed for characters like Eowyn but I was satisfied with the book nonetheless.

Sweet baby penguins! A five-star.
View all my reviews

7 comments:

When I said I would prefer to watch Rise of the Guardians over this, my friend kind of man-handled me. It's her specialty. But not in a serious way, but she freaked out. XD

Guess, I'll have to (sometime) watch it. XD

Great review!! I loved both the book and the movie, though I don't know which I liked better since I read the book several years ago. I did connect to the dwarves and Bilbo in the film more than I did in the book, but I'd have to read it again to be sure since I remember loving the book. :)
And I agree on Bilbo, Thorin, Kili :) (love the gif :D).

I watched The Hobbit last weekend, and it definitely reminded me why I felt in love with Middle Earth in the first place. I liked the Hobbit when I read it at eleven-years-old, but it never really stuck with me the way the Lord of the Rings did. I've read the LOTR countless times, where I only read the Hobbit once. I think Peter Jackson did an awesome job of making The Hobbit just as emotionally captivating as LOTR was. I agree with most of your points on both sides, except I really liked the Gollum/Bilbo scene in the movie. Maybe I just liked it because I got all the riddles right away and felt pretty good about that(or like I had a good memory. . . either way, I'll take it). Though, good point about the female characters. I'd like more of those too.

@ Delaney: LOL! Strangely I don't feel like watching Rise of The Guardians. I feel the need to save up money to see movies like Catching Fire and Thor 2 in the cinema this year!

@ Yay for the dwarves! Thirteen new characters introduced together was a bit overwhelming for me at first, but they are so adorable despite their grumpiness, it's impossible not to love them!

@ Stormy: I wish I had read the book when I was young too! It'd be awesome! I have to agree with you, I guess if I read the book first before watching the movie, I'd most probably like the Gollum scene better too! ^_^

I totally agree! Usually I like the book more than the movie, but for LOTR and the Hobbit it's reversed.

Yay! Someone's agree with me. I almost afraid to admit it since it's a big no-no to like the movie more than the original book! :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...