**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Stolen: A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.
This is my story.
A letter from nowhere.
Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?
The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

A truly 5-stars-worthy book, largely because I cried.

For the camel.

More about the camel later on. But wait, what? This book was originally written as Lucy Christopher's PhD thesis? Boy, I'd be wearing my caped-Superman t-shirt, dancing to the grooves all night if my thesis not only secures me a doctorate title but also a best-selling author title.

As you may or may not know, I currently live in Australia. Always complaining about how dry, how hot it is during the summer here, how rapid the temperature can drop at night, how...cloudless it is during the day.

I took an Ecology course too and I agree with the author, Australia is a place both terrifying and beautiful.

I mean it, if you can't stand the sights of spiders, snakes, or bats, don't bother coming here.

Reading this book was like reliving my visit to Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden, Port Agusta last spring. Here's the proof;

(I'm sorry I had to throw in a picture of me here because I can)

Flies, flies everywhere. Note that the flies out here are big, stubborn and they could torn into your jeans because they bite. Haha. I went to the desert area near Newcastle for winter break last year too for sandboarding and it was awesome despite I nearly broke my thumb.

I haven't review the actual book, have I?

Well, just like I expected, I honestly don't know what to write. This book doesn't sugar coat you with the idea of Stockholm Syndrome. Believe me, I first thought that this book is going to be somewhat romantic. Well, it does but not in the dreamy sort of way, it's realistic and justifiable.

AND THAT POOR CAMEL!

I cried myself to sleep because of that poor thing!

Jeez, I feel like crying now.

And that ending...is just perfect!
Sweet baby penguins!
View all my reviews

6 comments:

I was just thinking about this book! I read it awhile back but I vaguely remember the camel, but not feeling sorry for it. Which is strange because that stuff usually bothers me. Didn't they just set it free? To wander off by itself? I gave Stolen five stars too for some reason. Some parts were way out there (like a particular painting scene-I was seriously worried about Ty's sanity) and wasn't sure if I should root for their relationship or not. Have you read Girl, Stolen?

Nooo!! Because Ty had to bring Gemma to the hospital by his car (which was before that left abandoned in the desert), they first rode the camel to get the car and had to leave the camel there alone and clueless.

Since presumably Ty had to serve his time in jail, even the camel did come back, she wouldn't have someone to take care of her.

I really hope she found her flock once again, or just any other random camel will do. *sobs*

Sorry, I get emotional when it comes to animals.

Haha, love this review, I'll definitely have to get hold of a copy. And that picture of the crocodile has made my morning :)

Ah, okay, now I remember! I freak out about animals too, ever since I saw Black Beauty like fifteen years ago. After a few more similar experiences, I just gave up on reading or watching any animal movies. Or I ask someone who has seen it if the animal dies. No go. The camel probably didn't bother me because it was free, albeit without care, but at least it wasn't killed or something. But you putting it that way is depressing :P

@kit: Psst..don't tell anyone, but I actually never met any crocodiles for the past 3 years I'm in Aus except in the zoo. Haha. I guess I need to go to the Northern Territory of Aus to see crocs in their normal habitat.

@Alise: Hehe, sorry. Yeah, come to think of it, the camel was indeed free. You know, I cried so much when I watched Hachiko, I Am Legend and Marley & Me because of the dogs! Urghhh...THE DOGS!

Haha! Your review/post is so funny! :P
I really want to read this book but I want an actual physical copy of it, because I feel like I'm going to love it so I should have the actual book in my hand, but unfortunately I can't find it anywhere... Hope I find it soon..
Oh and I don't think I'm ever visiting Australia :P

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...