**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live. But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?

Nope. I won't re-read this.

I won't buy the book.

I hope there wouldn't be any sequel. If there is any, I won't read it.

Now you're asking me, why did I rate this a 5-stars?

Lemme tell you something. First, the cover is gorgeous. That was what drawn me to read this at first. Second, I don't like zombie books. Hmm...let me rephrase that. I refuse to read books such as Warm Bodies and Dearly Departed because I think no one should ever be romantically involved with zombies. Yucks. If you think these books are indeed great, I'll take my chance. I read Tomorrow Land and it was mediocre.

But then, I saw a lot of positive reviews for This Is Not a Test. I read the reviews and re-read the blurb, they still didn't make sense at that time LOL! Anyway, even after I checked it out from the library and read the back blurb by the other authors, I didn't know what to expect from this book. "This Is Not a Test is both sexy and desolate..."? "...the end has never been something to fear."?

Around 20 pages in...

OhGodOhGodOhGod...

I hope for those who have read this book, you would understand why I don't what to re-read this, why I don't want to have it in my possession, why I hope there'll be no sequels. Because this book is so heartbreaking. And impossibly beautiful at the same time. It made me question my own reasons to live, but I really don't want to re-live this book.

I think This Is Not a Test is a perfect dystopian/post-apocalyptic book. I seriously don't want to be in Sloane's world. Like ever.

Gah, I still find it hard to believe that a zombie book could be this devastating. Screw it! I shouldn't be labeling this book as a zombie book. Or a dystopian book for that matter. I could even call this a realistic fiction. But nah, This Is Not a Test is more than that. This Is Not a Test is a genre of its own.

*Silence*

Sheesh, I actually don't know what else to write except I still can't believe how much I understand Sloane given that I have so little things in common with her. Courtney Summers is truly a brilliant author. :)

But again, the only minor thing that bothered me was there were plenty of swearing and as always, they gave me headache LOL.

I don't always put a video music with my reviews but I think this song suits the book perfectly.


View all my reviews

4 comments:

Wow, I definitely want to pick this one up even more now just to understand your review more :) I have heard some people say similar things about it :) Great review :) xoxo

Thanks Alex. Yup, this book totally took me by surprise. It was just spectacular in every sense. ^_^

Man..I hate reading zombie books too, I like my romances to have a fairytale ending but your review wants me to read it so much!

@ Sophie: Yes, yes, you definitely should try this book! There wasn't a fairytale ending but I personally appreciate the bittersweet ending. :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...