**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Phantom by Laura DeLuca
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
The “Phantom” was a musical phenomenon that Rebecca had always found enchanting. She had no idea that her life was about to mirror the play that was her obsession. When her high school drama club chooses “Phantom” as their annual production, Rebecca finds herself in the middle of an unlikely love triangle and the target of a sadistic stalker who uses the lines from the play as their calling card.
Rebecca lands the lead role of Christine, the opera diva, and like her character, she is torn between her two co-stars—Tom the surfer and basketball star who plays the lovable hero, and Justyn, the strangely appealing Goth who is more than realistic in the role of the tortured artist.
Almost immediately after casting, strange things start to happen both on and off the stage. Curtains fall. Mirrors are shattered. People are hurt in true phantom style. They all seem like accidents until Rebecca receives notes and phone calls that hint at something more sinister. Is Justyn bringing to life the twisted character of the phantom? Or in real life are the roles of the hero and the villain reversed? Rebecca doesn’t know who to trust, but she knows she’s running out of time as she gets closer and closer to opening night. Only when the mask is stripped away, will the twenty first century phantom finally be revealed.

Reading this after Transcend is not a good idea.

When I decided to pick this up, I didn't know that this is a straight thriller/slasher book. I was hoping for some paranormal elements. ***Spoiler alert***Justin declared that he is a witch but hmph, it appears that he couldn't even block blows from a girl. Okay, okay, it's not an ordinary girl, it was Debbie, but still! False hope. *Crestfallen face* ***Spoiler finished*** Hence, I'm aware that my rating/review might be biased because I never like reading this genre.[(Justin declared that he is a witch but hmph, it appears that he couldn't even block blows from a girl. Okay, okay, it's not an ordinary girl, it was Debbie, but still! False hope. *Crestfallen face*) (hide spoiler)]

Honestly, the writing and the pace isn't that bad. It was really smooth, although I might add that the word building was very average. At one point, I was ready to give this book 3.5 stars! But the last quarter just ruined it for me. :/ There were so many questionable actions done by the characters! See characters analysis below.

Although many references to Grade B horror movie were made (i.e. Becca is not like that stupid heroine in the film etc), plotwise, Phantom moves like a Grade B horror movie itself. It was very formulaic, to put it simply, it was like a cross between High School Musical and Scream.

The characters. To say I'm disappointed with them is an understatement.

Becca.

Or Bella 2.0. I didn't like her from start when she easily classifies people from the way they look.

He could only be classified as a nerd, if he could be classified at all. It seemed more appropriate that he would be a flunky than a friend to the popular Tom.

He was obviously Gothic to the core, a fashion statement Rebecca had always thought was secretly a cry for attention


Imma get this straight, I understand that stereotyping is a real deal in high school. But I was hoping for a more sensible heroine with slightly elevated way of thinking. Not someone who thinks like 99% of high school girls.

Beneath the black t-shirt and black fishnet sleeves, she could see the outline of tight, firm muscles rippling through the fabric.

That was only one occassion. Becca had been caught gawking at boys for several times throughout this book.


A few of the younger girls were looking at them with envy in the eyes, but Rebecca didn't feel sorry for them. After four years of sitting on the sildelines, she felt she deserved this moment of honor, and she reveled in it.

Getting the attention of the most popular guy in school is your definition of the moment of honor? What happen to good grades? Oh wait, that's my definition of the moment of honor. LOL!

Okay, I think I had enough with the actual qoutes from the book. To put it simply, Becca is an unpopular high school girl who has a bit of obsession for all-things Phantom of The Opera. One day, she went for an audition for her high school play and landed the role of Christine. Suddenly, she had the attention of Tom, the most popular guy in her school, and Justyn, the Goth (as Becca labelled him), mysterious guy who is also a Phantom of the Opera fanboy.

*Le sigh* If I first heard a boy singing nicely, I might go swooning over him, but I won't go as far as asking him to be my boyfriend. You don't go around choosing your partner based on the voice only like what Tom has done.

Back to Becca, when she started to receive mysterious letters, packages and calls from someone who obviously familiar with Phantom of the Opera, she became paranoid of everyone. And I mean everyone!

And I really don't understand if she did suspect Tom and Justyn, why did she still want to go out with them?

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that the love triangle is really, really obnoxious. Becca dated two guys at the same time and those two guys couldn't be in the same room without ripping each other's face to shred.

Again, back to Becca. During the climax, she suddenly morphed into this suicidal martyr while she was tad scared like a few hours before. She insisted to venture to the back of the curtain even after discovering ***Spoiler alert*** Wendy's corpse ***Spoiler finished*** There's a thing call, uh, asking for help?

Justyn.

I like gentlemen. I like romantic speeches. Justin..hmm...did make my ovaries a little shaky but nah, the undying declaration of love between Becca and Justyn was AWKWARD!

Okie, I have to stop here because if I continue on, I might get meaner which is something I'd like to avoid nowadays. Hihi.


View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...