**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…
Warning: Spoilers...spoilers everywhere.

TABLE-FLIPPING TIME!



UH, GUYS??!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? I'M IN THE 1% WHO GAVE THIS BOOK A 2-STARS OR LESS?

It took me more than two weeks to finish this. It took me overnight to finish Obsidian. Granted, I was busy for the past couple of weeks but throughout that many sittings, I stopped because I was bored not because my homework got in the way. Trust me, at one point, I rather do the house chores than continue reading. And I did. Haha!

Then, it couldn't be my fault for not liking this, right? Gah, I don't know... So many of my GR friends rated this as a 4 or 5-stars read, and some of them even said that this is better than Obsidian.

*Sobs*

I don't think this is the 'haters gonna hate' case because I absolutely loved Obsidian (I even gave Katy a nickname!). Onyx is less twilight-ish and more action-packed (at least for the last 10% of it). Oh, the irony! I just remember that I hated the last 10% of Obsidian.

If you're hoping to find Daemon as less of a douche this time, I'm sorry to tell you that he is still a douche for at least the first half of the book . Worse, he had this Edward-like over-protectiveness.

"Daemon, you can't beat up guys because they talk badly about me," --said by Katy

The horror! If you think he was over-protective of Dee in the first book, you ain't seen nothing yet! And no Katy, no. One person's bad attitude shouldn't be attributed to the stress or to one's twin brother's death. Occasional display of bad attitude, yes but definitely not all the time! And that thing with keep mistaking Blake's name. It was clearly overdone.

Moving on to Katy. Dear God, what has happened to you girl? Kind of wanted to take the cookie from Daemon's mouth? Trying to disregard the girl in your that screamed, HE NOTICED ME? You could so picture Daemon getting into that sort of thing in the library?

AND THE SELF-BLAMING!!!

*Sobs harder*

Making friends with his sister, asking way too many questions, almost getting myself killed...twice. Plus discovering their big secret, and all the times I'd ended up with a trace. I frowned as I slid out of my car and slammed the door behind me. No wonder Daemon had been such a douche canoe those months. I was trouble.

But in the way, this situation was my fault, it had been my bizzaro output of energy that had drawn the DOD here.


Wow, I can't believe Katy just thought of those. She should have a lot more self-worth than that.

THE OVERCONFIDENCE!!!

And all the talks about becoming stronger so that she can protect Daemon and Dee is just too ambitious considering she just found out who (or what?) she is. This is really sad. I'm glad to see the transition from helpless YA heroines to kick-ass heroines these days, but no need to overdo it.

THE DENIAL AND THE SKEPTICISM!!!

No Katy, no! Of course Daemon had been treating you like a slice of unwanted pizza before but you can't just keep pushing him away when he did prove himself so many times already? She even refused to be healed? Well, that's just egocentric.


Was he going to kill me and stash my body? Drastic but probable after everything I'd caused

I'm sooo hoping that Katy was joking because although I think Daemon is a scumbag, I do believe he won't go as far as killing Katy, don't you think?
[Was he going to kill me and stash my body? Drastic but probable after everything I'd caused

I'm sooo hoping that Katy was joking because although I think Daemon is a scumbag, I do believe he won't go as far as killing Katy, don't you think? (hide spoiler)]


THE CONFESSION OF LOVE!!!

The part which I'm sure many of us had anticipate. But, but...


"And what does 'us' really mean?"

"You and me"

Ultra-cheesy!!! And that's just an example. Gosh, this is not a soap opera, is it?
["And what does 'us' really mean?"

"You and me"

Ultra-cheesy!!! And that's just an example. Gosh, this is not a soap opera, is it? (hide spoiler)]


Blake. Hmm...I kinda liked him at the beginning. But after the revelation that he is similar to Katy, he changed 180 degree? Then, what's the point of making him a likable character in the earlier chapters? Just to give some hints of love triangle? Well, Blake characterization is just confusing for me. And Katy did not just found out about his true identify from Google! I actually laughed at this part. I mean, with DOD status as the super-secret, super-confidential organization, that kind of information shouldn't be able to be googled like that? I mean, they were the one who 'assigned' that task to Blake.[But after the revelation that he is similar to Katy, he changed 180 degree? Then, what's the point of making him a likable character in the earlier chapters? Just to give some hints of love triangle? Well, Blake characterization is just confusing for me. And Katy did not just found out about his true identify from Google! I actually laughed at this part. I mean, with DOD status as the super-secret, super-confidential organization, that kind of information shouldn't be able to be googled like that? I mean, they were the one who 'assigned' that task to Blake. (hide spoiler)]

Dee? Sorry to say that I can't point out her contributions to the story other than making out in public with Adam. Bizarre still, Daemon had to make out with Katy at such strange times After he'd taken over Katy's date with Blake? After Adam was killed? Luckily, Daemon had self-control for not taking it further.[After he'd taken over Katy's date with Blake? After Adam was killed? Luckily, Daemon had self-control for not taking it further. (hide spoiler)]

Bonus chapter from Daemon's POV also adds almost nothing to the story. *sigh*

Well, on the bright side, I'm glad it's over so that I can now move on to other books.

View all my reviews

6 comments:

Great review. I was also tempted to rate the book 2 stars, but I did enjoy some parts of it. I thought the book could have ended at around chapter 32, or was it 33, but it just kept going. The only reason I finished it quickly was because I was buddy reading with two friends and we were able to get each other through it...lol

Afterwards, I couldn't even write a review because I was so disappointed (I had been eagerly awaiting this since I read Obsidian) and I'm still asking "What happened to Kathy?" I used to love her and in this book I wanted Blake to take her away. I'm not looking forward to Opal as much, but I'll read it someday.

Yup, although I usually despise love triangle, I was rooting for Blake at first because he was a sweetheart until the revelation of course.

I agree. Although Onyx is a big dissapointment, I'm still interested to read Covenant series and Opal after this! :)

OMG!!! my thoughts exactly... I was feeling like a black sheep for not liking it... everyone rated to 4 and I didn't like it that much..nice review.

p.s.- I am your new follower.
follow back if you don't mind.
http://booklokcoffee.blogspot.in/

Now that makes us two black sheep :)
I've followed you too. ^_^

Haha...I love, love your review! After Lisnoir and I "buddy read" Onyx, we read the reviews and noticed the high ratings. We were like... "Wait...did we just read the same book as everyone else?" I gave it a 3, and that's me being nice. I remember being so disappointed, and I thought I was possibly hating at first, And yet, I was crazy about Obsidian, so that wasn't the case. I don't know what the heck happened in Onyx, but it wasn't a five star book for me.
~M. Kay @ World of Mine *new follower*

Yay! The third black sheep. ^_^ I know right? It's really hard to believe how I really hate Onyx while I was fangirling all over Obsidian beforehand. Followed you now. Nice blog! :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...