**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sparks are igniting, flames are spreading and the Capitol wants revenge.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.



Just to cheer myself up after intense, long hours of reading this book.

Ermm yes, I haven't finish with this series yet. Those new releases were so distracting but none had ended up on my favourite shelf after The Hunger Games did early this year.

And I was not ready to sentence more of my neurons to death.

Plus, with all the hypes surrounding the movie, I couldn't risk getting wind up with the spoilers. I accidentally found out one already ***Spoiler ahead***Katniss and Peeta would be married and have kids!***Spoiler finished***[ Katniss and Peeta would be married and have kids! (hide spoiler)]. Why can't anyone just pass me the nightlock berries so I can shove them down to the person who wrote that youtube comment's throat!

My intention was so innocent and pure at that time. I was just trying to listen to Taylor Swift's Safe and Sound.

But then I scrolled down...

Gah, I should blame those people who gave the thumbs up for that comment as well.

Well, I should really review this book, shouldn't I?

What's there to tell. It was still as impeccable as the first book. Less actions I reckon, but with deeper emotions. Sincerely I like Katniss less in this book because she was a bit high-strung at times. She made some bad decisions but the flaws made her character more believable.

Now that I'm done with the second book, I wonder why her archery skill was not questioned during the course of the first book. Katniss herself admitted that District 12 tributes were at disadvantaged because they would only be allowed to work in coal mines when they reach 18. The tributes from other districts could start sharpen their skills in throwing axes, catching fish with trident etc at young age. Then why no one questions where did Katniss learn how to be so skillful with arrows and bows?

Oh yes, and the despicable love triangle. I hate love triangle. In fact, I loathe it. But of course Suzanne Collins rose to the occasion. This is only the second series so far that can convinced me that the dilemma is real and a complex one. The other one being Unearthly.

The minor characters were given adequate attention as well. ***Spoiler ahead***Although, it revolved around The Hunger Games once again, this time around I got what I was longing for from the first book. First, the names of majority of the tributes, their personality and some of them even received some background stories. ***Spoiler finished***[Although, it revolved around The Hunger Games once again, this time around I got what I was longing for from the first book. First, the names of majority of the tributes, their personality and some of them even received some background stories. (hide spoiler)]

But in the end, I missed the heart-pounding sensation I got from the first book. ***Spoiler ahead***I mean, Katniss was in a better off position this time, at least in the area with a bunch of allies.***Spoiler finished***

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Good review. I liked the first book better than the rest. I have also reviewed it on my blog. Hunger Games is amazing :)

Yup, I agree. I don't think I'll ever come across better dystopian than The Hunger Games :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...