**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Snow White Blood Red by Cameron Jace
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?
Book description of Snow White Blood Red: A Grimm Diaries Prequel as told by the Snow White Queen:
I have always wondered why you never asked about my name. Was I so superficial to you? So stereotypical and mundane? Why did you treat me as if I were just the monster of the week? You know what I think? You never had the time to really hate me. You wanted to hate me, long before you even met me. You wanted to scrape my existence and avenge your childhood princess by laying all blame on me. What if they didn’t call me the Evil Queen, what if I told you the real story from my point of view instead of hers, would you ever think of me as an angel? Could I ever make you care? I know that deep inside of you, you adore me,but you’re just scared, afraid to admit how much you love the Snow White Queen.
This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.


Why 4 stars you asked? I'm surprised myself. I don't know if I'm being biased because I always...

always...

like fairy tales retelling.

I came across this quote in the author's blog;

"...although the prequels were in no way a true reflection to how I write, and as I said I am not a writer. I am storyteller"

At first, I was like, 'arrogant much?'. I mean, of course authors such as J.K. Rowling and J.R.R Tolkien are exceptional storytellers but do you think they can be the best-seller authors of all time of they weren't a good writer in the first place?

So, I thought, hey Snow White Blood Red, come at me bro!

*half an hour later*

There is a freaking rainbow in the author's mind. I enjoyed this thoroughly. (Dammit! I hate being wrong)

I don't know how much of what he'd been telling us in his novellas are facts (as he claimed them to be) but the stories are rich and surprisingly, original.

Somehow, I feel like all the plaigarism accusations directed towards the author turned out to be blessings after all. Because he did mentioned that he wrote the prequels to clear up all those accusations.

For those who haven't started with this series yet, I think it's better to read this particular prequel first, then wait for Snow White Sorrow because personally I think that prequel #2 Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder is better suited to be read before Cinderella Dressed in Ashes but I could be wrong.

And as ridiculously as this may sound, you may need to read the author's blog to sort of understand what was going on (sort of like a companion book).

Note to the author: No, I didn't appreciate the reference to Lady Gaga. It was so awkward and out of place. And I think with a good editor and a good planning, you can go far. (Honestly, you can't keep changing things - the order of the prequels, the number of the prequels, the length of how long your books will be free on Amazon, it's very, very confusing)

View all my reviews

3 comments:

I know what you mean! I love when we hear the famous fairy tales from another perspective. I liked Rumpel by Eileen Cruz Coleman.

I also liked the Wicked books by Gregory Maguire too.

I like fairytale retellings, but I'm a bit wary of this one since it seems so similar to Anna Dressed in Blood, and some of the blurb seems to come from City of Bones. However, since you said you liked the prequels, I might have to give it a try!

@ Amy: Yeay! Someone agrees with me. Hehe. Thanks for your book recommendations. I am always looking for good fairy tales retellings :)

@ Sophie: Hmm...I noticed that you pay a lot of attention towards a book's writing, so I must warn you that the writing was definitely flawed but I could get past it and I hope you can get past it too ^_^

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...