**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear that he'd rather not have anything to do with her, either. But soon Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her freinds and possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying shories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagned and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Can she save Varen from the madness taking hold of him? Or will they both be consumed by the shadows of his nightmares

This is what I feel after I finished this book in three sitting.
I smell smexy!

WARNING: This book can cause excessive fangirl-ing.

Don't let the cover which seems like it was coming straight from a grade B movie poster fools you.(Although I shall agree that the male model on the cover is freakishly gor-geous!)

And don't let the 500-ish pages fools you too.

I smell smexy!

Because the moment you open the first page, you'll be drawn into the intriguing world of surreal realm of fantasy (not sure if this phase is even right, it just sounded nice :D). Be prepared to lose few hours of your mortal life because as for me, my lunch, sleep were all gone for a while.

I smell smexy!
Welcome to the dark side

The actual rate for this book is 4.5 stars. This book merely lose half a star just because I feel that the male lead, Varen was so weak and uninspiring towards the end of the story. I almost got my vote on Reynold until well, I found out he lied about getting Varen home.[well, I found out he lied about getting Varen home. (hide spoiler)]

And oh, Varen...what a smexy name. Calm down the girls out there, as much as I head-over-heels for the dude on the cover, I couldn't help but imagining Varen either portrayed by Jared Leto or Shiloh Fernandez.

Or

We could have both. Shiloh as Varen, Jared as Reynold. There. Everybody's happy :)

Honestly, I was a bit nervous when I learnt that the female lead, Isobel is a blond cheerleader. I was afraid the author would try very hard to set Isobel apart from the typical blond cheerleader. (you know, the stupid, airhead, the girlfriend of the quarter-back type) and ended up spoiling Isobel as too-good-to-be-true kind of girl. Praise to Creagh, she moulded the character beautifully. I'm not saying that I didn't find her complete lack of time management skill appealing but she came out as the strong, inspiring character towards the end.

Hate to break this down. Thanks to my trolling brain, I couldn't shake the image of Quinn, Santana, and Britanny posing as Isobel, Alyssa and Nikki.
I smell smexy!
I smell smexy!
Glee, give me back my sanity! Why did I ever start watching this STD-promoting TV shows again?

Again, the author did a wonderful job in keeping me guessing right till the end of the mystery that surrounding Varen. I proposed many theories, among others, Varen is the reincarnation of Poe.

but then, I thought better of it because it'll be too creepy.

Anyway, I still think Varen is some sort of gothic version of Mr Darcy. They both even live in the mansion albeit the situation is different per say.

As a final note, let's sleep with our windows closed.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

Been seeing this book around. I was in love with Poe when I was younger (still love his stories, but for less of a fan-girly reason). This book appeals to that old feeling. :)

Great review!

LOL! Thanks for considering this as a review. I still think of it more like a confession of a fan-girl than actual review ^_^

Cute review! i've actually heard the nevermore books kinda sucked but you make me wanna read it and find out for myself.

http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

Well, it depends on what kind of books you like. This book is kind of draggy and descriptive so it may not appeal to certain people :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...