**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. 
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. 
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. 
As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Oh dear, I saw that Cassandra Clare is a fine author, but I don't get why all the buzz and hype over her books. I honestly thought I'm going to adore this book. She can't be successful for her Mortal Instrument series for nothing can she? I mean, what a better way to join the bandwagon than to read the first of the prequel books for the best-selling series?

Hmm...I feel indifferent towards this book. Maybe I like it but I expected better than this. The beginning excited me very much, it reminded me of Sherlock Holmes and Kuroshitsuji. Tessa's ability blew my mind away, very original indeed but I was hoping she had given more chances to utilise her talent.

The twists and turns were somewhat intriguing, albeit I successfully guessed the main one (which obviously didn't help improving my impression towards this book). Tessa as the female lead, ironically with the power to change her appearance, barely had any personality. Will and Jem (I thought there supposed to be a love triangle? Am I missing something?), huh...if you like bad boys, you would go for Will or otherwise, Jem would be your favourite.

It is understandable that this book is the prequel to an established series, but I found the earlier parts as unnecessary complex. In similar vein, it was a bit disappointing as the graceful tone of the Victorian era language was slowly dissolving as the book approaching its end.

Except for the tight knot I felt over the attic scene, the romance was just so-so. I guess, this book and the series is just not for me :/

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...