**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Wilde's Fire by Krystal Wade
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"There is no pain in this death, only peace, knowing I am going to die with the one I love the most." - Katriona Wilde. Katriona Wilde has never wondered what it would feel like to have everything she's ever known and loved ripped away, but she is about to find out. When she inadvertently leads her sister and best friend through a portal into a world she's dreamed of for six years, she finds herself faced with more than just the frightening creatures in front of her. Kate's forced to accept a new truth: her entire life has been a lie, and those closest to her have betrayed her. What's worse, she has no control over her new future, and it's full of magic and horrors from which nightmares are made. Will Kate discover and learn to control who she really is in time to save the ones she loves, or will all be lost?

This e-ARC was provided to me by NetGalley and Curiosity Quills Press.

I don’t mind lesser known books, I never mind lesser known books. In fact, by going hipster I discovered Soul Seeker and The Curse Girl :3 So, when this title was up on NetGalley, I was like

Nice cover, interesting blurb. I mean, we’re talking about portal here,
Bring it on!

Sadly, my patience grew paper end and eventually it vanished.


Usually when I did not finish a book, I’ll mindlessly give it 1 star, end of story. But I think this book deserves another star because I given up on it because it was just plain and boring, not like I hated it so much, I felt like I want to drag the author to the parallel universe and demand that she/he returns my lost time, trying to read whatever crap this author had put together.

Like, well, like what I felt and still feel towards Fallen, Shattered Souls and Die for Me.

Overall, this book sounded very armature-ish. The writing was really choppy and stiff at start but fortunately, it got better afterwards but not enough to pull me into the story.

I wished the author can come up with better materials next time because I seriously, seriously had several moments of déjà vu.

1. The main female protagonist, Katriona accidently/forcefully enters a new magical world. The Iron King anyone? To add to the shame, I found out that the humans in this book did call Arland and his people as elves.

2. Katriona is the key to defeat the Darkness, the evil force based on an ancient prophecy. Reminding me a lot of The Fallen Star.

3. Katriona dreamt of Arland even before she actually meet him. Sounded like Beautiful Darkness. =_=”

The characters! Urghh...

THE CHARACTERS!

I think my favourite was actually the potato.


Yup, seriously. Arland as the supposedly hot, smoldering love interest was stiff as cardboard. Brad? Oh, gosh! I’m sorry but this dude is one pathetic friend-zone guy. Whenever he uses line like ‘I’ve always love you and continue to until I die’ I was like, who says things like that anymore? Maybe your grandpa to your grandma (which is really sweet) but for a teenage boy? I don’t think so.

Moving on to Kate. I don’t care if she says she shared bed with her sister, Brit and Brad before, but for her to invite Arland to her bed and went to the washroom together was just inappropriate. So, she knew him very well in her dreams but she just met Arland for a few days at that time in real life! If the author thought about fanservice, I suggest she read Kuroshitsuji, this manga would make the idea of having a demonic butler as the love interest to a 13-years old boy seems viable.

Kate dreamed a tragic dream, she woke up, she cried. Kate tried a spell, nothing happened, she gave up. Kate tried to open the portal back, she failed, she got depressed. I mean, there were like few pages dedicated just to convey how helpless and defeated she felt.

Luckily, whenever she got emo, she managed to rationalize herself again. But realizing this happened cyclically, I had to given up on this book. I don’t think I can’t handle anymore of her break downs for no valid reasons.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Wow!! I was laughing out reading your review. I wish I could write such a honest review. But no, I am too polite to tell someone that of all the book, only thing I liked was the cabbage. Normally in such cases, I just chuck the book into a black hole and refrain from writing a review. :)

Another thing I really liked was the way you specifically pointed out how and which part reminded you of something else. I frequently get this de ja vu feeling, but never write it down

keep up with the good work

Whoopsie! I know, sometimes I think that I'm being too harsh while reviewing, especially towards books by debut authors. But I have to do it, otherwise all these thoughts will bug me long after I finish reading.

Thanks for reading my review! I

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...