**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description

Angelfall by Susan Ee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

The 99 cent I spent on this book was the best 99 cent I ever spent.

The reviewers I followed, Cait and Larissa (thanks to both of you ^_^) generously gave five stars for this book, and I thought, sure this is good but it can't be THAT good, right?

Turned out, it can.

description

Yup, this book came out of nowhere, and it just blew my mind away. THIS BOOK DESERVES MORE ATTENTION PEOPLE!

The Cover:
At first glance, I wouldn't give this book a second thought but on closer inspection, I think it's a pretty decent cover, the colour combination simmers in an eerie way that pretty much resembles the end of days.

The Plot:
I honestly wish I could finish this book in one sitting but I started reading on 9 pm, so by the time it was 12 am, I regretfully had to put my tablet down or else I might not wake up the next day to pick up my friend from the airport.

So, based on the first good 200 pages I read in the first sitting, the plot was awesome! (for the lack of better adjective). I found my heart racing most of the time, sometimes spooked (the low demons were really frightening and so did Penryn mom), sometimes hyperventilating (the fighting and action scenes sounded very dramatic). Susan Ee has the gift of interjecting just the right amount of everything in her story, just the right amount of background story, just the right amount of emotions, just the right amount of descriptions.

From the second sitting, the rest of the book started to leave out few motives and information (obviously, saving for the sequels, which is not a bad thing) so I felt the story losing a few ounces of 'kicks', but then the gap between the first and second sitting was almost 18 hours, so probably that explains why.

The characters:
I'll being completely honest here. I WANT PENRYN'S BRAIN!!! Not because I'm a zombie but because she easily is the smartest lead female character in YA books. Her inner voice is very strong, she always weighed her options well before taking any action and yes she did it naturally. That's a real talent, to posses an ability to make the right decision albeit the dire of the situations she faced. I like the fact that she sounded selfish but actually she was just being practical. She was not trying to save the world in any way, just to claim her sister back. Her love-hate relationship with her mother was very moving too. Maybe the only area which Penryn has to improve is to come up with good comebacks.

Raffe is definitely not the usual 'Hey, I'm attracted to you, but I'm too dangerous for you, we can't be together so I'll stalk you. Oh no! You attracted to me too, so I must stay away from you. Then, I regret it, I must do anything to get you back'.

Nope.

He basically stuck with Penryn, having a goal of his own. He put enough respect and trust on Penryn fighting skill so Penryn is not a girl who needed to be saved everytime.

Final words:
I would recommend this book to teens at least 15 years of age. There were some serious gore and theology discussion throughout this book.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...