**QWERTY**

~ A Young Adult and Fantasy Book Blog ~

description description description


Across the Universe by Beth Revis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.



Well, it wasn't as bad as I first expected it to be. Not to say it was mind-blowingly awesome. A quick read and just...meh!


Ok, let's start with the cover. I could've sworn that the girl on the cover is blond. So, when I came across the part where Amy's hair is described as red or sunset? I was like




Gah! The cover wasn't one of my favourite anyway. I felt weird carrying this book around with that cover. It's not like Romance is my favourite genre.


Enough rambling about the cover, I was actually deceived by the title. I though it was a love story between two persons coming from two different worlds, like in The Lake House or The Time Traveler's Wife.


So much for my hatred for romance.


LOL! I like love stories when it is impossible for that two persons to be together. Some people just like to see the world burn. Next time I should read the blurb more closely.


Anyway, reading this book wasn't a complete waste of time. I adore the author's description of cryogenics, something I picked up during my ethics class long time ago. I would say, the world crafted by the author was believable albeit the disturbing portrayal of The Season.


Of course I was expecting a intergalactic battle.

description

but let's face it, here we have a hero who is still couldn't figure out how to operate the damn ship and a heroine who is still clutching her teddy bear, the chance of them winning would be none.


I'd still give the author credit for her writing style. To be honest, the pace of the story itself was very slow, but I kept on reading because the short, sharp transition from Amy to Elder point of view and back again although I did skipped a few paragraphs and pages here and there and didn't feel like I was missing much.


I like how Elder as the male protagonist is flawed but I am very traumatized by his revolting thoughts;


My eyes devour her body, then drift back to her breasts. The ice is a little foggy there, teasing me, but I can see enough to know they're lush, and even if they're frozen, I imagine that if they were warmed up...


I want to protect her now, cover her curves instead of run my fingers over them.



When I looked at Amy...I know what I'd like to do with her, and I know that I could.



Amy bites her lip, and all I want to do is seize her, crush her against me, feel her lips with mine.



description


That is worst than insta love. That is lust! Elder freaking unplugged Amy just to mate with her! Don't tell me that Fifty Shades of Grey is the new Twilight because then I'll be the who has to page my mother ship.


Moving on to Amy, thank goodness she wasn't immediately attracted to Elder. But she did admit that she watched people having sex on TV for million times? OF course she agreed that seeing people making out live was disturbing but I don't know, I find that part unnecessary?


Gah! I know I'm conservative and I should keep my thought to myself.


Anyway, I'm still considering whether I would continue on with the series. I kinda like the ending of this book. At last, in book two of a series, someone could desert her love interest for a valid reason.



Even Snape approves.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

I really liked reading this review. The pictures with what you say is just hilarious! Love Snape. To be honest, I often just read bits from people's reviews but I read this entire thing.

I'm not sure if I want to read this one or not.. It seems to be getting a lot of attention so I think I should but I think I have the same stance as you with the whole conservativeness. Meh. We'll see. Anywho, thanks for the review!

Thanks for the like! Snape is like my superhero! And I was missing him while I was writing this review :(

Yup, the series is heavily hyped but for me, I wasn't that great. If you could put your mind around Elder's creepiness, then I think you'll be enjoying it more than I did :)

Yay Snape! And yeah from what you said Elder definitely seems like a creeper. Probably will end up skipping this one.

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and feedback! But because I suck at HTML code, I don't know how to add reply button to each comment (I tried googled it but I think this template doesn't allow such change), so I will be very lousy at keeping track of the comments but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your comments! ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...